The signal has gone green for us to re-open and heritage trains will be running between Wirksworth and Duffield once again from 25th July 2020. We have made changes to our timetable and ticketing arrangements to help us 'bounce back' and keep you safe during your Escape to the Countryside. The information below will be reviewed on a regular basis to allow us to continually assess whether we can return to our normal arrangements.
To Escape to the Countryside on board Derbyshire's longest heritage railway our heritage trains will feature old fashioned compartments, perfect to enjoy a trip on the train with Social Distancing.
The following temporary ticketing arrangements are in place and replace all of our other tickets during the Bounce Back period.
- Tickets are sold per compartment at a fare of £30.00 for one return journey at the time you select on booking
- Up to 6 passengers of any age may visit per compartment booked
- All journeys START AT WIRKSWORTH and return to Wirksworth
- You must return on the same train as the outbound journey, sorry no break of journey
- To aid with staffing and social distancing requirements, Duffield Station is closed
- Tickets must be purchased in advance online or over the telephone. No tickets are available over the counter on the day but can be booked online right up to departure time online subject to availability
- There are no Day Rover, single (one way) or intermediate station fares available. Shareholder, EVRA member, HRA Interrail Pass, Blue Light etc discounts are temporarily suspended
- Each return journey will feature one wheelchair compartment. Please contact us if you wish to book this.
- Visit our Online Ticket Office to check availability and book. Don't see the date you are looking for? Further dates will be added on a rolling basis according to demand, staffing levels and Government advice
Please note: We may experience higher call volumes than usual and have fewer volunteers available to answer the telephone than we normally would.
Trains will operate to the Purple Timetable during the Bounce Back period using a heritage diesel locomotive and coaches. Trains will operate a limited number of days compared with our normal summer schedule.
Groupon Vouchers, Gift Cards etc
We are aware of a large number of unused Groupon vouchers which expired on 5th May 2020. These vouchers have been extended so that they are now valid until 30th October 2020.
There are two options:
- Use the Groupon voucher before it expires on 30th October 2020. If you wish to use your Groupon voucher on a Bounce Back date, you must make a reservation with us over the telephone and the above temporary arrangements replace your original terms and conditions.
- E-mail us your voucher's Security Code along with your name and preferred e-mail address and we will exchange the voucher for an e-ticket from our own system valid for 1 year from the date of redemption.
If you have a plastic gift card from ourselves, Buy a Gift or have already exchanged your Groupon voucher for an e-ticket during the closure period and wish to visit during the Bounce Back period, please contact us to make a booking. The above information replaces your original terms.
Derbyshire Countryman Dining
We intend for some of our Derbyshire Countryman bookings to go ahead as planned. We are in the process of contacting customers who have bookings that cannot go ahead.
On Site Facilities
- The Station Café will be open for a limited take away service.
- We have brand new toilet facilities at Wirksworth Station and will be limiting numbers inside the building to assist Social Distancing. Toilet facilties on board the train will be temporarily closed however toilets at Duffield will be open.
- Booking Offices, Gift Shops and Narrow Gauge Railway will be closed during the Bounce Back period, however the Museum at Wirksworth, Miniature Railway and Model Railway may open subject to staffing.
- Please remember Social Distancing. Wirksworth Station will have markings to assist you and your on train compartment naturally separates your group from other groups.
- We have enhanced our hygiene regimes on all of our trains to reduce the risk of cross infection.
- Face coverings are recommended when there is likely to be contact with other customers or staff but are not necessary when enjoying the journey inside your compartment.