This locomotive is an Austerity type loco built for the World War Two war effort in 1944. It was built originally for the British Government‟s War Department by loco builder William Gordon Bagnall of Stafford. The locomotives works number is 2746.
The kind of work and the location of the locomotive during its war time career are unknown as the records are not available. What we can be sure of is that at some time it was sold from the War Department to the National Coal Board. 2746 ended its working days with the NCB at their Featherstone Colliery.
It was purchased from the National Coal Board in 1983 by a Group of Peak Rail member‟s and moved to their Buxton site. It was during preservation that the Engine gained the name The Duke. The restoration of the loco was aided financial by the West Derbyshire Council and was completed in 1988. It then moved to Peak Rail‟s Darley Dale site in 1990 and was used on train services.
During preservation it has carried a British Rail livery and number 68012 masquerading as a Class J94. The real 68012 (works No 5124) spent some of its life on the Cromford and High Peak Railway in BR days. However, 2746 was never owned by British Rail.
The loco moved to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in November 2010 and is currently under restoration. Having run for several years on Peak Rail it now requires further routine boiler work. The 48624 Society (8F Group) are helping to complete this work.
|Builder:||William G Bagnall||Built:||1944|
|Class or Type:||0-6-0 ST||Works No:||2746|
|Weight:||48 T||Running No:||68012|
|Brake Type:||Steam/Vacuum||Operational Status:||Not Operational|