Class 122 Driving Motor Brake Second 55006
This vehicle was built as a single unit diesel railcar at Gloucester Works by the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Company in 1958, as one of a batch delivered in 1958, being a class 122 vehicle from Lot 30419, diagram number 539.
This class of vehicles initially went into service on the British Railways Western Region and its lines around Birmingham, Stourbridge and Leamington Spa, and later some London area branch lines. By the 1960s these units were concentrated on the West Country branch lines. It appeared in various liveries (see note in vehicle 51073 below about liveries in general) but was first outshopped in British Railways DMU green being repainted around 1967 into rail blue and later, around 1980, into blue and grey. In 1984 this unit was transferred to Longsight depot in Manchester for use on the Stockport – Stalybridge line.
The vehicle has been running as M55006 as the railway is in the Midlands, however, it has been returned to the original W55006 after the vehicle emerged from bodywork repairs in the spring of 2013.
Seats: 65 second
BR set number: P106
|Builder:||Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company||Built:||1958|
|Class or Type:||122||Works No:||30419|
|Weight:||37.5 T||Running No:||W55006|
|Brake Type:||Vacuum||Operational Status:||Operational|
|Remarks:||Caused a modification to single railcars after running over the buffer stops at Stourbridge Jnct!|