It has a 7 brake horse power air cooled engine and was bought, when new, by the Stoke on Trent Sewage Engineer, for use on the internal railway system of Stoke on Trent waterworks at Newstead Sludge Disposal Plant, Blurton, as a petrol engined locomotive. It was converted to diesel in 1971 and in 1976/77 was transferred to Burslem Sewage Works. Rail traffic ceased at Burslem in 1983 and it was sold to Richard Morris, Glodfa Ganol, just before that date in 1981 or 1982 for the Oakley Slate Quarry. This was the site of a proposed museum that didn‟t materialise and therefore all the locomotives from Glodfa Ganol were sold. At some point it came into the hands of Nottingham Museum Service, but by the time the EVRA sought to acquire it in 2005, the Museum Service had lost its history and believed it had been a locomotive at the Stoke Bardolph Waterworks (having confused the Stoke, of Stoke on Trent, with Stoke Bardolph). It is also considered that it has been rebuilt at some time after 1967 as part of the chassis are denoted “British Steel” a name not in use before that date.
This type of engine was very common not only in waterworks, but also in quarries, brickworks and other municipal uses. It is owned by the EVRA.
|Builder:||Ra Lister & Co, Dursley||Built:||1944|
|Class or Type:||Type R||Works No:||26288|
|Weight:||3 T||Running No:||Lesie the Lister|
|Brake Type:||Screw/Air||Operational Status:||Operational|