First designed for the Port of London Authority in 1915, this class of engine continued in production at Hudswell and Clark of Leeds until the end of steam locomotive building there. This example, number S102 (works number 1884/55), named Cathryn, was purchased in 1944 for work at Newmarket Colliery, Stanley, Wakefield, where it worked, except for occasional repairs at the central workshops (NCB Allerton Bywater) until 1969, with its sister locomotive S103 1864/52. After repairs it was then drafted to St Johns Colliery, Wakefield and it alternated between there and Park Hill Colliery, Wakefield, until the end of its working life in March 1977. It has been in store at S. Harrison, Tinsley; then the South Yorks Preservation Society at Penistone and Meadowhall; and the Elsecar Steam Railway, prior to coming to the EVR.
A number of these locomotives were converted by the NCB to the gas production system which entailed them being provided with underfeed stokers, and this also required the conversion of the funnel to a characteristic conical design which Cathryn now has. The "Railway Executive" plate which can be seen on the tank sides is a licence plate which indicates that the locomotive is authorised for main line working: so it is very likely that one of the collieries at which Cathryn worked had main line exchange sidings which required her to make short journeys onto the main line to despatch or collect wagons. Currently in blue, the principal livery of these small, powerful engines was a handsome lined maroon. Though powerful, the class were not renowned for smoothness of operation.
There are four others in preservation, one at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway, one (S100, possibly also from Stanley) at the Chasewater Railway, one at Quainton Road and one thought to be at the Llangollen Railway
|Class or Type:||Tank Engine||Works No:||1884|
|Weight:||42 T||Running No:||102 Cathryn|
|Brake Type:||Steam/Unfitted||Operational Status:||Under Restoration|
|Owner:||S Harrison & Sons||Arrived:||07/03/07|