This vehicle was built as a mark one BSK (Brake Second Composite) passenger coach at Wolverton works in Buckinghamshire by British Railways and delivered in 1955 for passenger use, from lot 30156.
We do not know anything of its passenger use at the time of writing. It ran in maroon livery from delivery until being painted blue and grey about 1970. At some point in its career it was withdrawn from passenger traffic and stored to await rebuilding as a departmental tool van. On conversion it was painted in a red livery, normal to this type of rolling stock. It is recorded in 1995 as being in use as a jacking and re-railing van at Stewart’s Lane Depot in London.
Departmental Tool Vans are still relatively common vehicles, and a number survive as on the national network. There are a number in preservation both as support vehicles and in their original passenger state. This vehicle was moved to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway from the Mid Norfolk Railway at Dereham.
|Builder:||British Railway, Wolverton||Built:||1955|
|Class or Type:||BSK (Brake Second Corridor)||Works No:||30156|
|Weight:||34 T||Running No:||ADB977383|
|Brake Type:||Air/Vacuum||Operational Status:||Support Vehicle|