Between 1940 and 1947, the LMS built 14 District Engineer's Inspection Saloons for permanent pay, civil engineering and signal & telegraph inspection purposes. The carriages were propelled along the line by a single locomotive touring the district to which they were allocated, two observation saloons, one at each end, enabled
engineering staff to inspect the line. A toilet, kitchen with attendant and a guards compartment were also provided. Out of course stops along the line could be made to permit detailed inspection of items of interest. Inspection saloon to driver communication was provided together with retractable vacuum operated steps for
track level egress. Meetings could also be held to examine observations and determine any actions as required.
When British Railways required an additional five saloons of this type they decided to perpetuate the LMS wartime design. As part of the 1957 Rolling Stock Programme they were built to a LMS diagram number but ordered using a BR wagon lot number, unusual for a vehicle closely resembling a passenger carriage. The new vehicles became DB999501 to DB999505 in the 999xxx purpose built series. 999504 was
coincidentally allocated to the RCE Derby District Engineer's Saloon and allocated to Etches Park Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot in Derby. Today, four of the 1957 batch survive, working on private railways.
999504 is painted in post-1956 BR lined maroon livery and numbered albeit incorrectly as M999504.
The vehicle was declared Royal in April 2011 when it hosted HRH Duke of Gloucester during his visit to open the line between Wirksworth and Duffield.
|Builder:||British Railways, Wolverton||Built:||1957|
|Class or Type:||Saloon||Works No:|
|Weight:||31 T||Running No:||M999504|
|Brake Type:||Vacuum||Operational Status:||Not Operational|