This vehicle was built as a “2HAP” Motor Brake Second Coach at Eastleigh in Hampshire by British Railways and delivered in August 1959 for phase 1 of the Kent Coast Electrification.
It went directly into service based at Ramsgate Depot, and was numbered 61292 as part of unit 6094. It ran in green livery, later with a small yellow panel on the cab end from about 1964 until being painted blue with yellow ends by about 1970. From late 1980, 2HAP units began being painted blue and grey and 6094 was also done. It was used on all the routes in Kent covered by the South Eastern Division of British Railways but probably also roamed much further afield as 2HAP units were frequently loaned between the three Southern Region Divisions at times of stock shortages. Unit 6094 was withdrawn from traffic on 15 May 1982 and after a short period in use as an additional load for driver's training trips, was stored at Eastleigh Marshalling Yard awaiting rebuilding in the works as a Gatwick Luggage Van. This took place from 24 May 1983, the coach being out-shopped on 24 March 1984, completely rebuilt as GLV 68506. It was then based at Stewarts Lane Depot for use on the rail-air service between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport (Gatwick Express) until withdrawn from that front line service in May 2002.
This vehicle was kindly donated to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway by the Porterbrook Leasing Company in March 2003 and has been in our care since that date. It has been converted into a static catering buffet car and has been rebranded as the Pullman Buffet in time for the 2012 season, receiving a repaint into the Pullman colours
|Builder:||British Railways Eastleigh Works||Built:||1959 (rebuilt 1983)|
|Class or Type:||GLV||Works No:|
|Weight:||38 T||Running No:||9107|
|Brake Type:||Air||Operational Status:||Static|