Shottle is in the hamlet of Cowers Lane. Nearby there are several public houses and the village of Turnditch.
The station opened at the same time as all of the others on the line in 1867 as Cower's Lane. The name was changed to Shottle on request of the owner of nearby Shottle Hall. At its peak in the 1920s, Shottle Station handled about 12,000 passengers a year, and over 1,000 tons of minerals and goods such as coal, coke and limestone, much of the coal being sent to Ashbourne. Grain, beet pulp and agricultural fertilizer were also handled. Regular passenger services ceased in 1947, but the station continued in use for excursions and special passenger trains, as well as for minerals and goods until 1964, when the service finally ended. The station building and cottages are private.
Shottle Station is near to the village of Turnditch which hosts a number of public houses including The Tiger and The Cross Keys. Also within easy walking distance is The Railway Inn public house and restaurant who offer an excellent carvery.
Access to the Station
New access has been created and passengers can now access the station from the step entrance off the A517 Belper - Ashbourne Road, near to the cross-roads with the B5023. Disabled access is currently still under construction at this time.